[Stackless] PyCon 2011 Talk Acceptence and Questions on Greenlets

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 04:15:50 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Richard I am researching how greenlets work. A part of this is actually looking at the code with a debugger. However I do not see a problem with also asking questions and starting a conversation on this otherwise quiet mailing list. If anyone can provide insights, that would be great. I guess that I am interested in is that I do not see the any alteration to ceval.c. I need to understand more about what is on the C stack to move beyond a superficial understanding of hard switching. I am interested in part because I want to see if this technique can be extended to PyPy-C.

Think of soft switching like getting the Python interpreter to switch
what Python code it is executing.  And hard switching like getting the
processor the Python interpreter is running on to switch what assembly
instructions it is executing.  For the former, you much around with
ceval and Python frames.  For the latter you just put new values into
the PC and SP registers - it is that simple.

I hope that clears up the misconception you have above.