[Stackless] Problem building release27-maint in 64-bit linux.

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 00:42:36 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Anselm Kruis
<a.kruis at science-computing.de> wrote:
> 3. Using the clobber mechanism is a mixed blessing. On the one hand the compiler knows what to preserve. On the other hand, we have no guarantee, at which point in time the compiler restores the registers. The compile may restore the values immediately after the first __asm__ statement. Fortunately
> current gcc versions don't do it.

When I had problems with __asm__ in gcc, I went to the gcc mailing
list and it was advised that I write actual assembly.  This is why the
arm thumb switch implementation completely written in assembly.  It's
a bit more work, but if you really wanted to make sure this wouldn't
happen, it's probably the way to go.

Jeff, you got time to test this on your end?  And maybe check it in,
if it looks okay?