[Stackless] Thoughts on I/O Driven Scheduler

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 04:23:37 CEST 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com>wrote:

> At both PyCon 2011 and EuroPython 2010, I was somewhat surprised by the
> popularity of greenlet based solutions (eventlet, gevent). This is despite
> the fact that a Stackless Python based solution ought to outperform the
> aforementioned.

Greenlet is where the attention and interest is, and I do not find it
surprising.  It is a lot more approachable to use an extension and gain the
bulk of the benefits of Stackless, than to use a custom Python interpreter.
 To be honest, I see this as a positive thing that speaks for how token and
cumbersome generator coroutines are as a solution for the same sorts of
problems.

> During PyCon 2011, there were two discussions of particular interest. The
> first was with Christian Tismer about what makes stackless "stackless" and
> when does hard switching occur. This is important since soft switching is
> ten times faster than hard switching.
>
> Of interest to me is how many times in the typically networking scenario
> does hard switches occur? And maybe alter Stackless to occur these cases.

> I have a few more ideas but this all for now. Comments?

No idea about Twisted related topics.  I have little understanding of, and
no interest in the subject.