[Stackless] http://www.stackless.com/pipermail/stackless/2007-April/000142.html

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 05:06:52 CEST 2012

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Kristján Valur Jónsson
<kristjan at ccpgames.com> wrote:
> Here is a proposed diff file.
> Note that this change doesn't actually change the object layout, it merely changes the header definition of PyHeapTypeObject.
> Thinking about the problem, I don't see that there is a binary incompatibility between stackless and objects built against vanilla python27.  The extra "slpflags" is always at the end, and in the case of PyTypeObject padded so far that tthis type has the same size as PyHeapTypeObject.  It is only present if the "stackless" flag is present in the type.
> So, I think that PyQT and PySide, if compiled against vanilla python, would work against stackelss.  This proposed change makes the convenient change that these extensions can be compiled against stackless headers as well, if need be.

I've dug out the email I sent to Christian from when I looked into
this.  I expect the problem described below is still as relevant with
your patch, as it is without it.  That is, the extended Stackless
PyHeapTypeObject can never be compatible with any SIP-based code that
has been compiled against vanilla Python.

Of course, correct me if I am wrong :-)

-- >8 --

Have you seen the threads on the Stackless mailing list dealing with
the problems relating to PyQT and the sip package used for bindings
for QT to Python?

A quick recap in case you haven't.  Stackless makes PyHeapTypeObject a
define for PyTypeObject.  sip has PyHeapTypeObject as a member of its
own structure and initialises it with the expectation that three
levels of initialisation are required.

... {
 {
  {
     /* PyTypeObject initialisation level */
  },
  /* PyHeapTypeObject initialisation level */
 },
 /* custom initialisation level */
}

Now Visual Studio will give an initialisation error.  But gcc will
compile it and not initialise anything, which leads to submarine
errors that pop up on them like the people using PyQT and sip are
experiencing.

-- 8< --

Correct me if I am wrong, but your patch is going to have the same problem.