[Stackless] pypi stackless, how's it going?

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Aug 21 14:03:28 CEST 2012

Hi Richard,

On 7/26/12 11:14 PM, Richard Tew wrote:
> Hi Anselm / Christian,
>
> This:
>
>    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/stackless-python
>
> I was wondering how this was going?  Is it generally usable?  What
> needs to be done before we can document it on the Stackless site?  If
> it is ready, how do we relate it to the existing mechanisms?  When it
> is ready, maybe we can script it's generation, installation, testing,
> upload to pypi as part of a release.
>
> Also Christian, you had some other ideas related to Stackless.  Are
> you planning  to take them forward or still considering them?

Anselm was very busy with a project, and I was/am very busy with my
back pain, and before I can manage that, my activities are very limited.

But the pip installer will definately be finalized.
Actually, I prefer it very much over the current installation
process. At EuroPython, I wanted to try something quickly with
Stackless, had no time to build it, so I tried a stackless .dmg on
OS X, but that screwed my system python, mercurial stopped working
etc. etc.
For sure it could have been fixed, but on a congress in a hurry, that
exactly made the big difference.

This was a quite ironic experience: After my talk, where I emphasized
the benefits of the new installation approach, I was hit and distracted
by the existing one. Things should just work without thinking.

So I'm really convinced:
Stackless should no longer replace any python installation at all.
Instead, it should use the installed version and collaborate nicely
with that, instead of possibly fighting it and breaking something.

--
Concerning other stackless related ideas I had: Can you give me a hint?
Right now I have no access to my memory ;-)

cheers - Chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023