[Stackless] Why No (O'Reilly) Stackless Python Book?

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 16:01:44 CEST 2012

Message: 5

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 07:37:46 +0200
From: Stefan Drees <stefan at drees.name>
To: Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com>
Cc: Stefan Drees <sdrees at ieee.org>, Christian Tismer
    <stackless at stackless.com>
Subject: Re: [Stackless] Why No (O'Reilly) Stackless Python Book?

>I remember around the 2004 Berlin Sprint having been approached by a
>publisher to write a book about current Python. So I asked Christian and
>Dinu to author it together, but our conclusion at that time was, that
>the work might not be worth the effort. (Printed) books on the bleeding
>edge were so fast outdated. Since books are now better spreadable and
>updateable for readers of e-Versions, I guess it is time to reconsider ...

Hi Stefan:

>I remember around the 2004 Berlin Sprint having been approached by a publisher to write a book about current Python. So I asked Christian and Dinu to author it together, but our >conclusion at that time was, that the work might not be worth the effort. (Printed) books on the bleeding edge were so fast outdated. Since books are now better spreadable and >updateable >for readers of e-Versions, I guess it is time to reconsider ...

Well Stackless Python has been stable for a number of years now. Moreover, there is nearly *20* years of experience involving Stackless's concurrency model, in the form of stuff from the Bell Lab family of languages. I look at the channel based  version of  a sieve of eratosthenes written two decades ago (and I have written in Stackless) and am still awed. What is even more awesome is taking the same example and incorporating pickling ....

Also I think another hedge against aging is illustrating computer concepts with Stackless ....