[Stackless] Still getting crashes with PySide

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sat Dec 1 03:56:55 CET 2012

Hi Lars,

this is good information!
Since you don't get crashes from using stackless features, it is
pretty clear that the problems must come from things that
I changed to support stackless features.

Good to know.
Still, it would be nice if we had something more deterministic to
cause a crash, especially a crash that occurs without manual
interaction...

I think to have a closer look into PySide itself, to see if it uses
structures which are not officially public.

One thing would be interesting but involves tome work:
Can you install PyQt instead and try the same?

thanks & cheers - chris

On 30.11.12 11:56, lars van Gemerden wrote:
> I am also working with a combination of PySide 1.1.2 (same installer,
> but the 1.1.1 version had the same problem) and stackless 2.7 on
> windows and have to agree that it is pretty unstable. It is hard to
> find a pattern in the crashes and i do not even know whether i have
> the same problem, only that the crashes come and go, even when i do
> not change anything significant to the code. It also happens when i do
> not call any code that uses stackless explicitely (no tasklets are
> created in the portion of code that is actually run, apart from the
> main one I guess). Sometimes i get "unknown opcode" exceptions; could
> that be related?
>
> It would be very helpful and comforting for the future of my project
> if this were resolved. If I can help, let me know ...
>
> Cheers, Lars
>

> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com
> <mailto:richard.m.tew at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Christian Tismer
>     <tismer at stackless.com <mailto:tismer at stackless.com>> wrote:
>     > C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\PySide\examples\mainwindows\sdi\sdi.py
>     >
>     > Richard, can you please tell me the version of Qt and PySide?
>     >
>     > I will try that on OS X, first, because I'm busy with building
>     PySide
>     > anyway. What did you install, a win installer package, a pip thing
>     > or from source?
>
>     I installed PySide-1.1.2.win32-py2.7.exe which I downloaded from the
>     PySide website.  It uses QT 4.8 going by the PyPI page.
>
>     Yes, sdi.py, like most examples crashes on exit for me.  But every
>     example I recall trying crashed in much the same way.
>

>     Cheers,
>     Richard.

> --

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023