[Stackless] Still getting crashes with PySide

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 07:06:48 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 2:48 AM, lars van Gemerden <lars at rational-it.com> wrote:
> However i noticed that Shiboken.ObjectType (type(QtCore.QObject) in PySide)
> does not behave like a normal metaclass:

Hi Lars, the heads up is appreciated as always.

When we suspect that something is broken with Stackless Python, the
first thing to do is test how it works under vanilla Python.  I
suspect that this problem would happen under vanilla Python, and the
existing problems are likely to be general enough that even if it is
Stackless-specific, this would possibly be related.

> Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e
>
> I dont know if this helps in any way, but since i noticed StackHash_0a9e in
> the error, i thought i'd report.

This is a false positive.  In reality unless it says Stackless,
nothing mentioning the stack will have anything to do with Stackless
Python.  Doesn't hurt to mention it to find that out of course.

> PS: I've given up on building stackless python myself, i really dont have
> sufficient knowledge do do it in limited time.

Building Stackless should be exactly like building vanilla Python.
There are two main cases where someone would have problems. The first
is where they are either using an unsupported architecture (in which
case it won't compile, or it should compile exactly into the same
version of vanilla Python - I forget which).  The second is where they
want to install it and there's some confusion about installing it
alongside a preinstalled version of vanilla Python).

Linux or Windows/mingw:
1) Get Python source.
2) ./configure
3) make
4) ./python
5) ./python Stackless/unittest/run_all.py (think that's the filename).

Windows (Visual Studio):
1) Get source.
2) Open the solution file in PCbuild.
3) Compile.
4) Maybe recompile again.
5) Find you need the platform SDK or some other thing.
6) Go to 3)
7) Consider installing the dependencies for optional modules like ssl,
if so, do so and go to 3)
8) PCBuild/python.exe Stackless/unittest/run_all.py

Besides the last step for each, compiling Stackless is identical in
tedium and potential problems (as far as I recall) for both.