[Stackless] Building Stackless 2.7 on Ubuntu 11.10 i386

Anthony S. Neal anthony at anthonyneal.com
Fri Jan 13 00:18:02 CET 2012

I have been attempting to build Stackless, with very little luck, on
Ubuntu Desktop 11.10 i386, with a vanilla install of the OS. After no
luck picking and choosing packages and attempting rebuilds, consulting
numerous blogs, I finally decided to start by attempting to build Python
2.7.2, and proceed from there.

So, to build Python 2.7.2, I did the following:

     tar --ungzip -xf Python-2.7.2.tgz
     cd Python-2.7.2
     sudo apt-get update
     sudo apt-get build-dep python2.7
     sudo apt-get libgdbm-dev

Worked like a charm. Figured I was in a good place

Brought down Stackless 2.7...

     cd ../Stackless

And I get the following at the end of the build

     Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these
modules were not found:
     _bsddb        _sqlite3        _ssl
     dbm            gdbm            linuxaudiodev
     ossaudiodev    zlib
     To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules()
for the module's name.

     Failed to build these modules:
     crypt        nis

     running build_scripts
     copying and adjusting
/home/anthony/Dev/Stackless/Tools/scripts/pydoc -> build/scripts-2.7
     copying and adjusting
/home/anthony/Dev/Stackless/Tools/scripts/idle -> build/scripts-2.7
     copying and adjusting
/home/anthony/Dev/Stackless/Tools/scripts/2to3 -> build/scripts-2.7
     /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./Tools/gdb/libpython.py python-gdb.py

Has anyone had any luck with this? Can anyone point out where I'm going

Thanks in advance,