[Stackless] Umbrella Project?

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Thu Jul 12 14:50:03 CEST 2012

On 12.07.12 13:33, Armin Rigo wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:
>> Should we come up with an umbrella project on BitBucket, for instance
>>
>>     "alternative-python"  or  "special-python"
> If you are suggesting that PyPy should, like Stackless, have a way to
> do "pip install pypy", then I think it's wrong.  You can reasonably
> replace CPython with Stackless CPython and everything should still
> work, as long as it's precisely the same version.  You cannot expect
> the same to work as seamlessly with PyPy.  Maybe one day it will work
> like this, but for now there are just too many issues, starting from
> the need to recompile *all* the C extension modules.  I think that
> PyPy cannot come closer than "a different version of Python" in the
> same sense as CPython 2.7 is a different version than CPython 2.6.
> You don't upgrade from CPython 2.6 to 2.7 by a "pip install" command.

That's true. I agree that this would be too early and oversized for PyPy.

I would distinguish python alternatives by being "hosts" or not.
PyPy is a host, CPython is a host.
Stackless always was a host and gets split into a non-host "extension"
now.
Seems to make sense for HotPy and Stackless, since both are much less than
a complete re-write.

So for PyPy I had the other direction in mind: supporting pypy as a host
where
you want to pip install something into. So as mentioned in a conversation,
"pip install stackless" should do the right thing, even if this is just
a check
for "import stackless" in PyPy.
HotPy might become one other alternative to cpython that might need
a stackless version as well. In the case of PyPy, it would probably again
be a no-op.
And I expect there are other projects which replace the binary, but
could fit into this "extension-ish" group.
Installing certain packages needs different care to be taken, dependant
from the host python.
Maybe Cython is another candidate where the possibilities need to
be checked.

I thought to include PyPy into this to initiate something that lets us
collaborate on improving the user experience of installing pieces of
software that fit together. Instead of every project doing its own stuff,
we could merge some efforts.

cheers - Chris

work +49 173 24 18 776  mobile +49 173 24 18 776  fax n.a.