[Stackless] pip install stackless-python

Anselm Kruis a.kruis at science-computing.de
Fri Jul 13 20:31:01 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm the one who created the stackless-python package on PyPi. I think
your question is very valid, but unfortunately, I don't have an answer
yet. My work schedule was very tight this week and I didn't find any
time to look after the stackless-python package or even to read the
stackless mailing list. I still hope to catch up this weekend.

Regards
   Anselm

Am 05.07.2012 00:29, schrieb Hervé Coatanhay:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering. Now that `stackless-python` is like any other pypi package
> on a pip perspective, what will/should happen if I want to use a package
> that has `stackless-python` as a dependency in a pypy virtualenv ?
>
> cheers,
> Hervé
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Christian Tismer<tismer at stackless.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Stefan,
>>

>> On 6/28/12 5:37 PM, Stefan Drees wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Chris,

>>> to me this sounds good enough for easing the people into wanting to try
>>> stackless out.
>>>
>>> Maybe a different name for the modified python eg. matching the package
>>> name from the install command stackless-python, stackless-python2.7 etc?
>>>

>> Possible. The name "stackless-python" was proposed in a parallel
>> discussion on the virtualenv list. Maybe it is better to use a shorter
>> name since I assume some laziness if people need this package
>> at all ;-)
>>
>> But there are many packages with a name different from what gets
>> installed - for instance distribute, which is cheating, it just replaces
>> the easy-install package with a different version.
>>

>>> I share the view, that a virtualenv is and should allways be an
>>> additional option, transparent for the package.
>>>

>> Yes. I thought things would be easier abusing virtualenv, but that
>> seems to be not true.
>>
>> So I ended up with a "piggy-back stackless".
>>
>> Btw., I am still playing with wild ideas, like on "import stackless"
>> replacing and restarting the interpreter completely...or some other tricks
>> that emulate an extension.
>> But it is not trivial without a mechanism to intercept the normal
>> startup-code of cpython.
>>
>> Mayme I'll keep it simple and get somewhere at all ;-)
>>
>> cheers -- chris
>>

>> --
>> Christian Tismer             :^)<mailto:tismer at stackless.com>
>> tismerysoft GmbH             :     Have a break! Take a ride on Python's
>> Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 121     :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net/
>> 14482 Potsdam                :     PGP key ->  http://pgp.uni-mainz.de
>> work +49 173 24 18 776  mobile +49 173 24 18 776  fax n.a.
>> PGP 0x57F3BF04       9064 F4E1 D754 C2FF 1619  305B C09C 5A3B 57F3 BF04
>>        whom do you want to sponsor today?   http://www.stackless.com/

  Dipl. Phys. Anselm Kruis                       science + computing ag
  Senior Solution Architect                      Ingolstädter Str. 22
  email A.Kruis at science-computing.de             80807 München, Germany
  phone +49 89 356386 874  fax 737               www.science-computing.de
Gerd-Lothar Leonhart
Vorstand/Board of Management: