[Stackless] Stackless vs Eventlet

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 22:00:57 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]
<cal.leeming at simplicitymedialtd.co.uk> wrote:
> Could someone explain some of the difference between using Stackless, in
> comparison with using Eventlet?
>
> After using Stackless for almost 7 years and having to deal with some insane
> bugs (such as hanging on network stack under high load scenarios), I almost
> immediately fell in love with Eventlet for its simplicity and performance
> for our high network I/O applications.
>
> However, I don't understand the fundamentals of libevent or stackless enough
> to know how to compare them.
>
> Any input would be much appreciated, even if it's just a poke in the right
> direction on Google ;)

Stackless is a green threading/microthreading solution.  Greenlet is a
similar solution.  Libraries like eventlet are built on top of
Stackless or greenlet, and make use of what they provide.  You could
as equally well have a working libevent solution built on top of
Stackless, as on top of greenlet.  Your problems were due to whatever
networking solution you chose to use.

Hope this helps,