[Stackless] is it possible to use Ipython with stackless?

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 01:21:07 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Roman Shestakov
<romanshestakov at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> is it possible to use stackless with ipython?
> I have installed pre-compiled mac binary for Python 2.7.2 but when I try to
> execute stackless code I am getting error
>
> ImportError: No module named stackless
>
> are there any tricks to make it work?

Hi Roman,

Stackless is a modified version of Python.  This means that you need
to install or compile a Stackless binary, and run that. If you run it,
you will see something like:

Python 2.7.2 Stackless 3.1b3 060516 (default, Dec 21 2011, 14:36:04)
[MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32

If you do not see the "Stackless" mention there, you are not running a
Stackless binary and are probably running a normal one you got
somewhere else.

Does it work with ipython?  I have no idea what ipython is with regard
to python binaries, and unable to determine this information by
browsing the ipython web site.  So the answer is: no idea.

The key is whether ipython needs a custom python binary.  If ipython
can be run with a standard python binary from python.org, then it can
be run with  the Stackless binary and should be fine.  If ipython is a
modified version of python, like stackless, then it is unlikely to be
possible.