[Stackless] pip install stackless-python

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Thu Jun 28 17:54:30 CEST 2012

Christian Tismer:

> Is that the right concept? Is it enough to make a big difference, by giving
> users the impression that they just added something to python?
> Is it acceptable to have a different name for the executable?
>
> Or _what_ is really making a difference?
>
> eagerly hoping for replies -- Chris ;-)

Hi Chris,

this would surely be a more convenient way for many to install and play with Stackless, I guess, especially since tools like pip are becoming ever more popular. For that purpose, having two executables with two different names might be very helpful for newbies.

But for people who want to do more than play it might be less acceptable. Maybe there's a trick to link pythonX.Y to slpythonX.Y? Also, something similar for reusing stuff in pythonX.Y's site-packages might reduce peoples' fear of keeping the same packages installed in several places (and in sync). But maybe I'm just too cautious...

Regards,

Dinu