[Stackless] pip install stackless-python

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Thu Jun 28 20:42:26 CEST 2012

Hi Stefan,

On 6/28/12 5:37 PM, Stefan Drees wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Am 28.06.12 16:51, Christian Tismer wrote (slightly edited):
>> Stackless becomes a PyPI package that contains only the binary and the
>> few changed library modules.
>> After
>>          pip install stackless-python
>>
>> you have stackless inside site-packages, and you get a message that
>> tells you
>>
>>          "Along-side with pythonX.Y, you now have a command
>>           slpythonX.Y which you can run as an alternative"
>>
>> and you can also
>>
>>          pip uninstall stackless-python
>
> to me this sounds good enough for easing the people into wanting to
> try stackless out.
>
> Maybe a different name for the modified python eg. matching the
> package name from the install command stackless-python,
> stackless-python2.7 etc?

Possible. The name "stackless-python" was proposed in a parallel
discussion on the virtualenv list. Maybe it is better to use a shorter
name since I assume some laziness if people need this package
at all ;-)

But there are many packages with a name different from what gets
installed - for instance distribute, which is cheating, it just replaces
the easy-install package with a different version.

> I share the view, that a virtualenv is and should allways be an
> additional option, transparent for the package.

Yes. I thought things would be easier abusing virtualenv, but that
seems to be not true.

So I ended up with a "piggy-back stackless".

Btw., I am still playing with wild ideas, like on "import stackless"
replacing and restarting the interpreter completely...or some other tricks
that emulate an extension.
But it is not trivial without a mechanism to intercept the normal
startup-code of cpython.

Mayme I'll keep it simple and get somewhere at all ;-)

cheers -- chris

work +49 173 24 18 776  mobile +49 173 24 18 776  fax n.a.