[Stackless] Stackless runtime smacking into GIL while a callback is running

Adam Preble adam.preble at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 15:57:15 CET 2012

I put in double effort to get this out in the morning because of the volume
of response I got on the topic yesterday.  I am wondering now if this is
truly a Stackless Python issue.  I need to try linking this to legacy
Python too, but I rushed on the code to at least have something to show to
those whose interest was piqued yesterday.  Normally I post anything with
interoperability in it to the cplusplus-sig where the Boost.Python people
hang out, but the stack trace for the PyThreadState_get call is in the
Python stack, not through my code.  So I figure it's a runtime issue of
some kind--whether Stackless or conventional Python.

I managed to reproduce it without having to use the whole hulk of code.
 Here I have a C++ class running its own thread that makes a callback to a
Python object.

TimeBomb.hpp  http://pastebin.com/tjiSrRaN
TimeBomb.cpp  http://pastebin.com/CfrmvGEB
StacklessPythonCppInterop.cpp  http://pastebin.com/Fc6HyTKQ  (has main in
it)
test_script.py http://pastebin.com/L5r7sGFc

Here's the output:

Inside the inner body of the time bomb.
Five seconds are up.  Time to deliver payload.
Got explosion
GFatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread
ot explosion
Got explosion
Got explosion
Got explosion