[Stackless] pypi stackless, how's it going?

Anselm Kruis a.kruis at science-computing.de
Mon Oct 1 09:44:46 CEST 2012

Hi Richard,

 > Do you include the modified standard library files from Stackless?

Yes, I did. I use two different approaches: on Windows, the files are
part of the python27.zip and on Linux I added another directory to
sys.path. In both cases the modified files are only visible to the
stackless executable.

 > Also, do you think we should stop making custom Stackless installers?
 > Or is this something that can be considered distinct?

For the moment, we should still build the installers. Even if we drop
the installers, we need VS 2008 Professional to build an optimized
version of Python. (Fortunately, I have the required software.) Once a
pip installable version is mature, we may drop the windows installer.

Regards
   Anselm

Am 28.09.2012 09:07, schrieb Richard Tew:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Anselm Kruis
> <a.kruis at science-computing.de> wrote:
>> Last week I was finally able to continue the stackless installer. I just
>> released a new version to PyPi, that add Linux AMD64 support.
>> This release completes my effort to provide a proof of concept package.
>
> Thanks Anselm, I'll give it a try as soon as I can.
>
> Two questions! :-)
>
> Do you include the modified standard library files from Stackless?
> The reason I ask, is that I read somewhere (or seem to recall reading)
> that this only includes two additional files or something like that,
> which would indicate not.
>
> Also, do you think we should stop making custom Stackless installers?
> Or is this something that can be considered distinct?  Building the
> installers requires the non-free versions of Visual Studio, which I do
> not have.  This generally means that the build process errors, and the
> installers seem to work without having been merge module'd to
> completion (whatever that means).  And building the installers is a
> lot of work, so it would be good to be able to put an end to it and
> make pip installable versions for all the different Python versions
> instead.
>
> Cheers,
> Richard.

  Dipl. Phys. Anselm Kruis                       science + computing ag
  Senior Solution Architect                      Ingolstädter Str. 22
  email A.Kruis at science-computing.de             80807 München, Germany
  phone +49 89 356386 874  fax 737               www.science-computing.de
Gerd-Lothar Leonhart
Vorstand/Board of Management: