[Stackless] pypi stackless, how's it going?

Anselm Kruis a.kruis at science-computing.de
Mon Sep 17 11:34:19 CEST 2012

Hello,

it's time to announce a little progress. After the EuroPython2012
conference is was very busy and I was on holiday.

Last week I was finally able to continue the stackless installer. I just
released a new version to PyPi, that add Linux AMD64 support.
This release completes my effort to provide a proof of concept package.

So if you have python on linux 64bit or windows 32bit, please try

$ pip install stackless-python

You should get the commands slpython.exe or slpythonw.exe on Windows or
slpython2.7 on Linux. I'm confident, that the Linux binaries work well
on most distributions, but I can't test them all.

The Future
----------

As already discussed, we definitively need an umbrella project, that
selects the "right" installer. The main reason is, that the current
"single package" installer does not scale. We simply can't include
binaries for every platform and pip is not smart enough to select among
several packages.

I propose the rename the current PyPi package "stackless-python" and to
reuse the name "stackless-python" for the umbrella project.

The umbrella project would be an ordinary python package, installable
with pip or easy_install. During its installation, the umbrella package
would use pip to install the right stackless-python installer package.

Is there anybody willing to write the umbrella installer? Of course, I
can do it, but it might take some time.

Regards
   Anselm

--
  Dipl. Phys. Anselm Kruis                       science + computing ag
  Senior Solution Architect                      Ingolstädter Str. 22