[Stackless] Stackless Digest, Vol 104, Issue 4

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 03:28:52 CEST 2012

Hi Richard:

>It's a good title for a presentation, but personally I am not that

>interested in solving problems like Santa Claus or sure why I should
>be, off the bat.

Thanks for the feedback.

Well the Santa Claus Problem is a problem in thread synchronization. If you replace reindeer and elves with say, a manager waiting for N out of M sensors or web
services, then the reasons for and the techniques used to solve the Santa Claus problem
become more interesting.

At a personal level what I proved to myself is that with some internal changes that would maintain almost total backward compatibility, Stackless Python can readily solve these problems. For me, I am delighted when I see Dining Philophers solved in a handful of lines (just like in the paper).

>  I've paged through the presentation, and while it looks interesting, like most sets of slides they aren't enough >on their own to understand.

>If you record yourself giving the presentation and upload it to
>youtube or something in not too high a quality, I'm happy to watch it
>and give feedback.  As I am sure others would be.

I think a video of the talk was made. However it seems to be lost or misplaced. Please ask questions about what is unclear.

>I suggest you make your code publically available and post the link,
>so that people (in general) can check it out on a whim so as to make
>it more easy to help out.

Yes let me do a few small things and make this so.

Once again, thanks for the feedback.