[Stackless] Nice Stackless Blog from Jesse - 2009

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Apr 2 18:36:49 CEST 2013

Hi folks,

I was not aware of this stackless awareness that resulted in Jesse's
blog entry from Feb. 2009:

http://jessenoller.com/blog/2009/02/23/stackless-you-got-your-coroutines-in-my-subroutines

In the light of modern "yield from" I see a bit of convergence, here.

Maybe it is possible to split the stackless parts (greenlet/tealet stuff
vs. cooperative stack unwinding) into an extension module and the
cooperative rest - and try to modify and negotiate enough to make the
differences vanish?

I think the hard part is to convince python-dev to re-think the recursive
nature of the interpreter?
That was basically the main annoyance that I wanted to get rid of.
The rest of Stackless layout was simply what I came up with at that time.

The way Python3.3 is today is pretty close, already, although it is
more complicated than necessary. CPython re-invents stack unwinding
using the generator tricks in an explicit way.
But maybe this is already enough to gain the same features that
Stackless has since a long time.

just a note -- cheers - chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023