[Stackless] Stackless tickets 21 and 22 and 2.7.4 release plan

Anselm Kruis a.kruis at science-computing.de
Tue Apr 30 18:49:10 CEST 2013

Hi,

Am 30.04.2013 16:40, schrieb Christian Tismer:
> Hi Anselm,
>
> On 4/30/13 9:47 AM, Anselm Kruis wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> yesterday I committed the fix for bug
>> http://www.stackless.com/ticket/21 (crash on exit in
>> slp_kill_tasks_with_stacks) and the
>> enhancement http://www.stackless.com/ticket/22 (soft switch for
>> decorators) to branch 2.7-slp.
>>
>> Usually I would prefer a bit more discussion about the changes,
>> especially for fairly large change like the soft-switch support for
>> context managers. But I tested the change very thoroughly and couldn't
>> find any problems. Every relevant code path is covered by test-cases
>> and I tested on windows 32bit, Linux 64bit with and without PyDEBUG,
>> with Visual Studio, gcc and clang.
>>
>> With this changes in place, I propose to tag current tip of branch
>> 2.7-slp as release candidate v2.7.4rc2-slp. Release candidate 2 to
>> avoid confusion with my unofficial v2.7.4rc1-slp.
>>

> +1 from me!

Ok, I'll create the tag tomorrow morning. Anybody has any pending
changes or other objections, please write a note to the list or create a
ticket.

A detail question about the Windows MSI-Installer: usually I build this
installer using the latest available sqlite3 Version. The released
CPython installer contains a fairly old version 3.6.21. Shall we use the
old version or the current one? (On Linux the locally installed version
is used.)

>> I have a fairly crowded schedule for the next two weekends, but I
>> could build windows installers and update
>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/stackless-python on Wednesday. Then we
>> could release 2.7.4 in about 3 weeks.
>>

> I hope to get time to work on this, too. There was a promise to do
> a stackless installer for OS X from me.
>
> Did you have a chance to look into wheel? That might be a clean way to
> build eggs, which are wheels, now.

Yes, I looked into it. It is a good specification, but not suitable for
our purpose, because it completely prevents running code during the
installation. Remember, the the PyPi stackless-python package installs a
second python interpreter into an existing python installation. That's
completely impossible using wheel.

> There is an alpha of a wheel enabled Pip flavor.
Good news. But for stackless-python we only need support for
Distutils-style source archives.

cheers
   Anselm

--
  Dipl. Phys. Anselm Kruis                       science + computing ag
  Senior Solution Architect                      Ingolstädter Str. 22