[Stackless] stacklesslib & tealet

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Apr 30 20:00:27 CEST 2013

Hi Werner,

On 4/30/13 5:32 PM, Werner Thie wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Concerning the Mac OSX version, I still have that brew recipe? As a
> tap it would probably have a life in the home brew environment.
>
> Concerning the problems with several Python version installed on a Mac
> the home brew approach is by far the cleanest I found.
>
> All we need is tarball on the official site with an MD5 digest, form
> there its only
>
> brew install stackless
>
> Anyone favoring this approach?

I saw your post to the list from July 2012. At that time I was not yet
using Homebrew,
but meanwhile I am.
Here my opinion:

- Homebrew does a quite good job when you need a certain package.
    It is also what I use on OS X, instead of using canned builds from
python.org.

- I had a closer look at your version for Stackless, and that is
unfortunately
    exactly what I don't want, with any installer, be it one like
python.org's, your's, or
    anything else that installs Stackless Python as a replacement of
regular Python.

That is not the problem to be solved. We had such solutions since 1998,
and this was
the wrong approch, all the time.

I am meanwhile convinced that it is a bad idea to have an installer for
Stackless Python
that replaces CPython by using the same folder and name for the executable.

Don't be offended, I have no objection if you modify your Homebrew
Stackless installer
and name the executable different from Python, so they can co-exist. So
please feel free to
try again to get into the Homebrew distro, do exactly what they do for
Python and Python3,
but avoid giving it the name Python or Python3.

I think my answers to two different threads were not clear enough, so I
should be a bit
clearer about what is needed.

The approach that Anselm and me want to push further is a bit more than
an installer:
Instead of downloading and installing a different version, the idea is
to install
Stackless on top of an existing CPython of an exact version, and install
the Stackless
addition as an extension-like add-on, although that is cheating, because
we still
need to replace the interpreter.
For that reason, I also still am in favor of naming the stackless
interpreter slightly differently,
although it can and should share as much as possible from the original
installation.

The point is to get people into trying stackless as an alternative,
without destroying their
CPython installation. Stackless needs to play nicely, like an extension
that you can toss if
it does not fit your needs.

If you think it makes sense to use homebrew for this, then I'm
interested to read your
thoughts. But yet another installer is neither on the problems nor on
the solutions side
of what the topic was in the other thread you are referring to.

I want Stackless to be (almost) as simple as Greenlet to install.

Cheers -- Chris