[Stackless] Stackless Digest, Vol 119, Issue 13

lars van Gemerden lars at rational-it.com
Wed Dec 11 13:00:48 CET 2013

Hi Andrew,

It wasn't blocked on IO, the server got stuck in it's mainloop (or similar
name). I don't know much about webservers, WSGIservers etc, but what i also
tried was putting a schedule() in this mainloop (which i think polls the
socket). Is this what you suggest? It seems to work well, apart from the
occasional weird AttributeError, which i'll have to look into. However
others discouraged this approach, but i never quite understood why.

Cheers, Lars

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi Lars:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 22:07:20 +0100
> From: lars van Gemerden <lars at rational-it.com>
> Subject: Re: [Stackless] monkeypatching
>
> >(oh, i created a tasklet for the bottle microframework run() method, which
> >includes the mainn server loop()) ; I only called schedule() on each web
> >server request to be able to do anything outside the server mainloop.
> >However that had the effect that process steps where not executed as
> >long as the end user sent no requests (some processes do not have any
> >web component).
>
> I haven't had a chance to carefully look at your code. However from this
> description, it sounds like a thread/tasklet is blocked on I/O.  This will
> have the effect of blocking all tasklets in that thread. What you need to
> do is occasionally call a timeout from the underlying system call (for
> example, select()) and do a schedule() so other tasklets can run.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew
>
> P.S - Yahoo's new and improved mail interface is killing me!

Lars van Gemerden
lars at rational-it.com
+31 6 26 88 55 39