[Stackless] Stackless and PyPy STM

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 17:40:49 CET 2013

Hi Folks:

I am wondering if anyone has started thinking about how STM can be used with Stackless Python?

To the best of my knowledge, I do not believe PyPy's stackless feature  works with PyPy STM.

Much of the "Scalable Join Patterns" paper (http://www.mpi-sws.org/~turon/scalable-joins.pdf) talk about how to implement lock-free data structures.

I am still going over the algorithms. However I believe these ideas could be applied a GIL less Stackless Python.

My question is how to start experimenting? I have had problems compiling PyPy STM (I don't have either big or 64 bits machines). I have had lukewarm reception to approaches. I thought about creating a Stackless build where I turn off the GIL and code lockless queues in C. Ideally I would want to see if the ideas work by prototyping with RPython.

Suggestions?