[Stackless] stackless & web.py

lars van Gemerden lars at rational-it.com
Sat Mar 2 16:26:34 CET 2013

thanks guys,

Richard, in answer to your questions:

1) What link says that Stackless and web.py are not compatible?
I had to search again:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/webpy/yljWjzhqAhs ,
others i could not find again

2) Do you know that code that blocks the current thread and does not
yield to the scheduler is not Stackless compatible?
No, i did not .. ;-)

3) Given 2) is it reasonable to accept that this means that any
networking framework that you just run, like web.py cannot be as they
stand be Stackless compatible?
ehm ... sounds like bad news :-)

I am very new to web applications, so i have been reading a lot the last
few days. Usually i go with a "how hard can it be" mentality but web
frameworks i find hard to understand, e.g. i still don't exactly understand
what WSGI does and does not do, and i have read quite a lot.

At the moment I am leaning towards "bottle" and monkeypatching (if
required), but i could really use some advise, because in the past i have
waisted a lot of time picking the wrong solutions (i started out in Java).

I saw that bottle has a single threaded dev webserver built-in, does this
mean that it should run with stackless without monkey-patching?

I probably have more questions later, but i'll start with some testing,

Cheers, Lars

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM, emile at fenx.com <emile at fenx.com> wrote:

> On 2/27/2013 4:45 PM, Richard Tew wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:18 AM, lars van Gemerden <lars at rational-it.com>
> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >> If so what might be the most straightforward approach to be able to
> hook my
> >> application up to a webserver? The user must be able to edit and submit
> data
> >> sent to the browser.
> >
> > There are several options:
> > 1) Write a Stackless compatible web server.
>
> You may want to check out http://www.nagare.org/ -- IIRC, it's a
> stackless based web server. There are current references to stackless on
> the site, but I've not looked at it in years.
>
> Emile

Lars van Gemerden
lars at rational-it.com
+31 6 26 88 55 39