[Stackless] stackless & web.py (Richard Tew)

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 2 22:59:09 CET 2013

Hi Richard and folks:

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:45:00 +1300
From: Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Stackless] stackless & web.py

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:18 AM, lars van Gemerden <lars at rational-it.com> wrote:
> I am in the process of finding a way connect my application to a webserver.
> I am considering web.py but read somewhere that stackless and web.py might
> not be compatible. Is that true?

>There are several options:
>1) Write a Stackless compatible web server.
>2) Adapt an existing web server to be Stackless compatible.
>3) Monkey-patch using 'stacklesslib', which makes the blocking calls
>built into the Python interpreter and standard library Stackless
>compatible.

>Feel free to follow up with further questions, or request
>clarification if I the above is not clear :-)

I am in the market for a Stackless http server (currently I use Stackless with Twisted). I looked at web.py.
Excluding Python 2.3 compatiability code, it looks like over 90% of the threading for web.py is in
util.py.

I believe there is a version of web.py that uses gevent (http://code.google.com/p/gevent/source/browse/examples/webpy.py?r=aa7080f89a735172d49dc02627153368280cbc82)

I don't think it would be that difficult to create a Stackless version. It would give me an opportunity to play with
stacklesslib