[Stackless] stackless & web.py

lars van Gemerden lars at rational-it.com
Thu Mar 21 10:35:05 CET 2013

Sorry for the late reply, i was on holliday and such.

Thanks for the clear explanation. For my prototype i have tested a little
with the built-in (single threaded) webserver of bottle.py and it seems to
work (just running the run method of bottle in a tasklet). I can use
channels to communicate with the functions responding to GET's and POST's.

For the prototype that is enough, but i am sure i will get back to this
subject once it is done.

Cheers, Lars

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 4:26 AM, lars van Gemerden <lars at rational-it.com>
> wrote:
> > 3) Given 2) is it reasonable to accept that this means that any
> > networking framework that you just run, like web.py cannot be as they
> > stand be Stackless compatible?
> > ehm ... sounds like bad news :-)
>
> Stackless offers cooperative microthreading.  That means you have to
> run the scheduler, and that any code that runs has to yield to it, so
> that the other microthreads can run.  Any existing application will
> have it's own main loop, or delegate running to whatever framework it
> uses.  Stackless can't alter reality to make these run the scheduler
> and yield in all the right places - but it can fake that reality by
> the monkeypatching.
>
> Cheers,
> Richard.

Lars van Gemerden