[Stackless] stackless & web.py (Richard Tew)

lars van Gemerden lars at rational-it.com
Thu Mar 21 11:24:45 CET 2013

Andrew,

Have you considered bottle.py?

http://www.slideshare.net/r1chardj0n3s/web-microframework-battle (although
the weighing is pretty subjective i guess).

its all in one file (about 3200 lines of code), no special dependencies,
simple to use, i think gevent support, python 3 support, good
documentation, ...

for now i am going with bottle (although with the built in single thread
web server).

Cheers, Lars

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi Richard and folks:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:45:00 +1300
> From: Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Stackless] stackless & web.py
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:18 AM, lars van Gemerden <lars at rational-it.com>
> wrote:
> > I am in the process of finding a way connect my application to a
> webserver.
> > I am considering web.py but read somewhere that stackless and web.py
> might
> > not be compatible. Is that true?

> >There are several options:
> >1) Write a Stackless compatible web server.
> >2) Adapt an existing web server to be Stackless compatible.
> >3) Monkey-patch using 'stacklesslib', which makes the blocking calls
> >built into the Python interpreter and standard library Stackless
> >compatible.
>
> >Feel free to follow up with further questions, or request
> >clarification if I the above is not clear :-)
>
> I am in the market for a Stackless http server (currently I use Stackless
> with Twisted). I looked at web.py.
> Excluding Python 2.3 compatiability code, it looks like over 90% of the
> threading for web.py is in
> util.py.
>
> I believe there is a version of web.py that uses gevent (
> http://code.google.com/p/gevent/source/browse/examples/webpy.py?r=aa7080f89a735172d49dc02627153368280cbc82
> )
>
> I don't think it would be that difficult to create a Stackless version. It
> would give me an opportunity to play with
> stacklesslib
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

Lars van Gemerden