[Stackless] Lightweight Orchestration Re: stackless & web.py (Richard Tew)

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 21 19:42:20 CET 2013

Hi Lars:

>Have you considered bottle.py?

>http://www.slideshare.net/r1chardj0n3s/web-microframework-battle (although the weighing is pretty subjective i guess).

>its all in one file (about 3200 lines of code), no special dependencies, simple to use, i think gevent support, python 3 support, good documentation, ...

>for now i am going with bottle (although with the built in single thread web server).

Sounds interesting. I don't know about bottle.py but I'll look at it.

You have good timing. Tomorrow is the start of an all-weekend hackathon in Montreal. If I don't sign on to another project,
I may do the following:

work on is a framework for an orchestration engine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchestration_(computing)). I have always thought Stackless
Python would be ideal for writing orchestration engines.

One of the things that I need is the ability to drop in various 3rd party web service libraries. So I want to use stacklesslib and I guess
monkey patching of the socket library. Heck learning stacklesslib has been on my TODO list for a while.

The other thing I want is to use a modified version of stackless.py that supports a Go programming language style select and join patterns loosely
based on Polyphonic C#. In this fashion I can readily support something like WS-BPEL's pick (select), and parallel/control dependencies
(logical ordering of activities).

So I wouldn't be using Stackless Python as I would be using either PyPy or CPython with stackless.py

________________________________
its all in one file (about 3200 lines of code), no special dependencies, simple to use, i think gevent support, python 3 support, good documentation, ...

for now i am going with bottle (although with the built in single thread web server).

Cheers, Lars

Hi Richard and folks:

 AM, lars van Gemerden <lars at rational-it.com> wrote:
>> I am in the process of finding a way connect my application to a webserver.
>> I am considering web.py but read somewhere that stackless and web.py might
>> not be compatible. Is that true?

>>There are several options:
>>1) Write a Stackless compatible web server.
>>2) Adapt an existing web server to be Stackless compatible.
>>3) Monkey-patch using 'stacklesslib', which makes the blocking calls
>>built into the Python interpreter and standard library Stackless
>>compatible.
>
>>Feel free to follow up with further questions, or request
>>clarification if I the above is not clear :-)
>

>I am in the market for a Stackless http server (currently I use Stackless with Twisted). I looked at web.py.
>Excluding Python 2.3 compatiability code, it looks like over 90% of the threading for web.py is in
>util.py.
>
>I believe there is a version of web.py that uses gevent (http://code.google.com/p/gevent/source/browse/examples/webpy.py?r=aa7080f89a735172d49dc02627153368280cbc82)
>

>I don't think it would be that difficult to create a Stackless version. It would give me an opportunity to play with
>stacklesslib
>

>Cheers,
>Andrew

Lars van Gemerden