[Stackless] PyPI stackless-python (was Re: [RELEASED] Stackless 2.7.5 released)

Anselm Kruis a.kruis at science-computing.de
Wed May 22 10:29:29 CEST 2013

Hi Werner,

The general idea of the PyPI stackless-python installer is to add
Stackless Python to an existing Python installation. In its current form
(version >= 10) the installer uses a 2 stage process.

The PyPI package "stackless-python-10.0.tar.gz" is just an installer for
a platform, version and configure-settings dependent package that
contains the relevant parts of Stackless Python. The installer downloads
the right package from
http://bitbucket.org/akruis/slp-installer/downloads and runs the
installation function provided by the package.

The installation function performs the following steps:
1. It checks, that the package matches the python installation.
2. It adds the slpython* executable(s). (There are minor differences
between platforms: Windows has slpython.exe and slpythonw.exe, Linux has
slpython2.7). These executables differ from the executables you get from
a standard-build of Stackless or CPython in two ways:
- They locate the Python shared library using a different name or
location to avoid conflicts.
- They add an additional item (a dir on Linux, a zip-archive on Windows)
to sys.path before the standard library directory to include a few
Stackless specific modules.
3. The installation function adds Stackless specific library modules to
the aforementioned sys.path item.

Example: On Windows the installer adds the following files besides
python.exe
- slpython.exe
- slpythonw.exe
- com.stackless.python27/com.stackless.python27.MANIFEST
- com.stackless.python27/python27.dll
- com.stackless.python27/python27.zip  # Stackless modules

So - to answer Werner's question -, if you run "slpython", you get
exactly the same site-packages as with "python". And if you run python,
you won't see any modification of your installation.

Currently the are no OS-X packages for "stackless-python". I would ne
more than happy to add them, but unfortunately I have no Mac. I guess
the Linux packages might be a good starting point.

Regards
   Anselm

Am 22.05.2013 07:41, schrieb Werner Thie:
>> If you use CPython 2.7.3, 2.7.4 or 2.7.5 on Windows (x86 or amd64) or
>> Linux (amd64) you can add Stackless to your existing Python installation
>> using the PyPI "stackless-python" installer. It
>> adds a new executable "slpython" and does not harm your existing
>> installation in any way.
>>
>> Simply run:
>>   $ pip install stackless-python
>> or
>>   $ easy_install stackless-python
>
> Hi Anselm
>
> fiddling with the homebrew stackless.rb script, I'm at the point where
> python builds fine, sqlite has an old problem popping up from a previous
> release (symbol not found - _sqlite3_enable_load_extension), but is
> currently not linked into /usr/local/bin. My question is: do you have a
> separate site-packages situation when doing a parallel install or do
> standard python and slpython share this directory?

> I'm favoring the shared site-packages, what do you think?
>
> Werner

  Dipl. Phys. Anselm Kruis                       science + computing ag
  Senior Solution Architect                      Ingolstädter Str. 22
  email A.Kruis at science-computing.de             80807 München, Germany
  phone +49 89 356386 874  fax 737               www.science-computing.de
Gerd-Lothar Leonhart
Vorstand/Board of Management: