[Stackless] Fwd: [Stackless-checkins] stackless (2.7-slp): add a filter function to zipfile.PyZipFile.

Anselm Kruis a.kruis at science-computing.de
Wed Nov 6 21:03:09 CET 2013

Hi,

I agree, that we should continue to support Python 2. Our customers
operate large data centers and implement processes using python 2. They
won't migrate this code unless there is a very compelling (= saves
money) reason.

As long as the PSF releases new versions of Python 2.7, we should follow
the 2.7 release cycle. This way we can guarantee that Stackless 2.7.x is
compatible to C-Python 2.7.x. After the last C-Python release, we can
continue to add bug fixes and support for new platforms or OS versions.

About a Stackless 2.8: I like the idea, but we should keep a tight rein
on it and only accept back-ports of features already in (Stackless-)
Python 3.x. Otherwise we won't be able to keep a reasonable quality. And
nobody will use a Stackless 2.8, if there is no reasonable migration
path to (stackless) python 3.x. But if we add proven 3.x features, a
stackless 2.8 could become an attractive option on the way to python 3.

About Stackless 3.x: new features - except stackless related ones -
should go to C-Python. We don't have enough resources to keep up the
quality of the code and - more important - nobody will accept a
stackless based solution, if stackless becomes an esoteric and
incompatible fork of Python.

Regards
   Anselm

Am 31.10.2013 14:16, schrieb Kristján Valur Jónsson:
> Fair enough.
> How hard are those to set up?
>
> 2.8-slp could be branched off when we feel like it.
> I could be an enhanced 2.7 with the added benefit of having slp.  There would be no stackless-less 2.8 :)
> Of course it will be an absolute bastard in terms of featuritis unless we keep a tight rein on it :)

  Dipl. Phys. Anselm Kruis                       science + computing ag
  Senior Solution Architect                      Ingolstädter Str. 22
  email A.Kruis at science-computing.de             80807 München, Germany
  phone +49 89 356386 874  fax 737               www.science-computing.de
Gerd-Lothar Leonhart
Vorstand/Board of Management: