[Stackless] PEP 0404 and VS 2010 (python-dev)

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Fri Nov 22 01:35:41 CET 2013

Richard, you get me into serious trouble.

But don't misunderstand me - I like that!

I think to realize that there is some serious fear of a

     Stackless Python 2.8

version.
I also can follow the reasoning against it.
What may be a show-stopper is the "do not combine python and 2.8"
issue, as there is meanwhile a licensing issue.

I don's intend to create a war. Stackless is known enough that we can do a
"Stackless 2.8" by it alone. People will know what it is.

But I don't have real reasone here. I am even happy with this new approach
from Chris Barker:

- create a CPython executable, with a different DLL name,
- create a SPython executable, with a different DLL name.

The "SPython" branch would create it's Stackless 2.8 or whatever you
propose.
The "CPython" branch would create it's CPython 2.7.X branch, heck, without
any additions.

The idea is to create them both, at the same time.
These two different Python's are then installed, and people can run either
cpython or spython, within the same install.

It will not clash with any existing Python. It will be explicit, it will
come with
lots of installable extensions, and it will be there, next week.

What do you thing - would that work as you intended?

cheers -- Chris