[Stackless] PEP 0404 and VS 2010 (python-dev)

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Fri Nov 22 14:26:53 CET 2013

On 22/11/13 09:42, Kristján Valur Jónsson wrote:
> I'm not quite sure I understand the problem (ignoring python-dev for the moment)
> Why do we need to think about CPython at all?  Do you have a customer that wants CPython (without stackless features) but with 2.7 + features?

yes exactly. I have a customer who wants the new Python, but is afraid
still to move a large distribution to Stackless.
I said stackless is free, but if I'm supposed to switch it off, I will
charge
all the hours that I spent on this version, which was quite some work.

That was unexpected, now suddenly I had to solve the problem that
I wanted to circumvent. :-D

Therefore the idea to give them both versions, where only stackless
has some features added.
> If you don't, then all we need is to make a break from cpython cleanly.  I don't see how we need to support CPython.
> if python-dev wants a 2010 version, then they can have that as a PCBuild11 subdirectory in their 2.7 CPython branch.
>
> We can just move forward with our own "Stackless 2.8" and it can even have a "slpython28.dll/.so" library.

Right. I need to think a bit.
They want an official Python that they can use for years.
Somehow it would be nice if we are regarded official enough to provide it.

cheers - chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023