[Stackless] PEP 0404 and VS 2010 (python-dev)

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 19:36:49 CET 2013

Look, by going on about this, I don't want to create complication.  I
just think that "Stackless Python 2.8" is a much better name, and that
to use another name, only serves to introduce confusion on our end.
And Stackless as a term is already a minor problem for us, which is
another reason I would prefer we do not use that by itself.  By this I
mean, we still get people out there who introduce Stackless Python to
people as a language that doesn't have a stack.  If I would replace
any part of the name, it would be the "Stackless" part, but that
wouldn't solve the "PR nightmare" worry in any case and it is too late
in the day for the project to reasonably do that.

I propose this way forward:

- I've asked on python-dev for clarification on how "Stackless Python
2.8" can realistically be considered a PR nightmare.
- If they can give us valid reasons, we rename to "Stackless 2.8" to
prevent them from having this problem.
- If they cannot give us valid reasons, we just go with "Stackless
Python 2.8" and consider it a complete non-issue which we no longer
discuss.

How does that sound?