[Stackless] PEP 0404 and VS 2010 (python-dev)

Anselm Kruis a.kruis at science-computing.de
Fri Nov 22 23:26:06 CET 2013

Hi,

I was out of office for 3 days and missed a really impressive discussion.

I try to summaries a few important points.

1. We are probably not allowed to release something called "Stackless
Python 2.8". This causes significant problems, because it is sheer
impossible for us to completely avoid the name Python. And every
occurrence of the string "Python" could by a trademark violation.
Differentiating between legitimate use of "Python" as the name of the
language and misusing trademark "Python" is probably not trivial.
That's way to risky (at least for my boss).

Therefore we need the permission of the PSF, if we want to release any
version not based on an python.org CPython. At least we need a
settlement that clearly states, that we still are allowed to distribute
the unmodified documentation (it uses the word "Python" very often) and
that we are not required to change any doc-strings.

2. The VS2010 compiler problem does not justify a new version number.
I'm not completely convinced that Steve Downer's proposal
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2013-November/130546.html
works, but there is still the option to change the name of the python-DLL.

Because Stackless is binary compatible to corresponding CPython
releases, we should wait until CPython VS2010 support is out. Otherwise
we loose the ability to use the python ecosystem (PyPi, pip, ...).

3. I still see the requirement to support Python 2.7+ for a much longer
period. And reasonable backports from 3.x really make sense. If CPython
2.7.7 adds support for newer compilers, we still could add back ports to
2.7-slp, provided they don't break compatibility.

Regards
   Anselm

--
  Dipl. Phys. Anselm Kruis                       science + computing ag
  Senior Solution Architect                      Ingolstädter Str. 22