[Stackless] Stackless 2.8 layout (or stackless python 404)

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 22:12:51 CET 2013

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:
> I have been thinking about this for more than a day.
>
> According to the known thread on python-dev
>>
>> PEP 0404 and VS 2010
>

> we are not really encouraged to call our new stackless release
> something that contains the strings "python" and "2.8".
>
> Using some random numbering also does not make sense for us,
> for instance """Stackless Python 404""" would be clear for insiders,
> but given the existing numbering scheme, it is totally necessary for
> us to move forward sequentially in the sequence numbers, because we clearly
> want to publish improvements to python 2.7..

Yes, as I see it we have to logically choose 2.8.  We can't go higher,
or else it becomes confusing with 3.x.

> Policy change for Python:
> ---------------------
>
> We do not mention python explicitly in documentation for stackless 2.8.

I think this goes too far.  We are primarily the Python programming
language, but with a bit extra.  To deny reference to Python does more
harm than good IMO.

> We include the un-modified documentation for python 2.7.

Can I suggest an alternate approach.  We use the name "Stackless 2.8",
and we leave all Python references in the Stackless documentation.
However, we put a header in the template with a short statement making
it clear that this is not Python 2.8, and a link to further
information.  This should override any reasonable chance of accidental
confusion where other pages might automatically have the combined
words "Python 2.8".

> All additions/extension/modifications are documented in extra documents
> called "stackless-news" and "stackless-readme".

Sounds fine.

The tricking people to use Stackless isn't the way I would prefer we
go about it.  If it were up to me, I would just keep it simple.  I
would not #ifdef back-ported 3.x features.  I would have it build
"notpython 2.8" if STACKESS_OFF was defined.  If people wanted to get
involved and help back port features to an updated version of 2.7,
they could do so and use it as a non-stackless python.  We wouldn't
provide binaries for "notpython 2.8", and if people wanted to get a
properly supported 2.8, they'd simply migrate to the supported
"stackless 2.8".

Other than that, the rest of the post sounds fine.