[Stackless] PySide problem, take #2: typeobject clash

lars van Gemerden lars at rational-it.com
Mon Oct 21 21:41:54 CEST 2013

Great work Christian, sounds like this was a subtle one.

I know i was somehow involved at the start of this problem (but i can't
remember/find how or when). Were these the random crashes especially on
closing a PySide gui?

Anyway, do i understand correctly that i have to compile PySide to be able
to use this patch or is it likely to show up in a release version of PySide?

Cheerio, Lars

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com>wrote:

> On 21.10.13 18:57, John Ehresman wrote:

>>> It is all about stackless' different frame layout.
>>> This is the minimal patch to be able to compile pyside for stackless
>>> python.
>>> It is explained in the bug report.
>>>
>>> https://bugreports.qt-project.**org/browse/PYSIDE-199<https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/PYSIDE-199>
>>>

>> I think I'm confused -- I see changes to how SbkTypeObject fields are
>> referenced (SbkTypeObject is a C level extension of the PyHeapTypeObject
>> struct).  I don't think I see changes to frames.
>>

> Hoppla, you are right, no frames at all. Did I say that? geee
>
> No, it is about the type layout, there are (ah, here came the word frame
> again?! ) there are type fields in CPython that stackless does not have.
>
> Well, and because these structures are different in size, pyside must
> be compiled using stackless, otherwise it crashes ugly.
>
> (bzzt, no frames -- what's up with my brain? like a shortcut, I need
> rewiring)
>

> ciao - chris
>
> --
> Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer at stackless.com>
> Software Consulting          :     Have a break! Take a ride on Python's
> Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 121     :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net/
> 14482 Potsdam                :     PGP key -> http://pgp.uni-mainz.de
> phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023
> PGP 0x57F3BF04       9064 F4E1 D754 C2FF 1619  305B C09C 5A3B 57F3 BF04
>       whom do you want to sponsor today?   http://www.stackless.com/

Lars van Gemerden
lars at rational-it.com
+31 6 26 88 55 39