[Stackless] PySide problem, take #2: typeobject clash

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Oct 22 00:57:54 CEST 2013

Howdy Lars,

not sure, either. It was randomly crashing, but since then PySide got much
better, and also something must have changed about internal checks, so
I had no chance to let it run with the wrong dll. Most probably, when I
first tried that with 1.1.2, PySide was poking into a wrong place in the
objects
because stackless and cpython have different layouts.

Anyway, yes, sadly, right now you need a separate build of PySide.

I am going to build .egg files for PySide. Right now I have them just for
Mac OS X. You might tell me what kind of eggs you need. (gack! :-) )

When I find the final solution, this extra-build will go away.
Can take a little time...

cheers - chris

On 21.10.13 21:41, lars van Gemerden wrote:
> Great work Christian, sounds like this was a subtle one.
>
> I know i was somehow involved at the start of this problem (but i
> can't remember/find how or when). Were these the random crashes
> especially on closing a PySide gui?
>
> Anyway, do i understand correctly that i have to compile PySide to be
> able to use this patch or is it likely to show up in a release version
> of PySide?
>
> Cheerio, Lars
>

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Christian Tismer
> <tismer at stackless.com <mailto:tismer at stackless.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 21.10.13 18:57, John Ehresman wrote:
>
>         On 10/21/13 12:44 PM, Christian Tismer wrote:
>
>             On 21.10.13 17:54, John Ehresman wrote:
>
>                 I took a look at the patch and can't quite understand
>                 it (I must admit
>                 I didn't apply it).  Can someone explain why it's needed?
>

>             It is all about stackless' different frame layout.
>             This is the minimal patch to be able to compile pyside for
>             stackless
>             python.
>             It is explained in the bug report.
>
>             https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/PYSIDE-199
>

>         I think I'm confused -- I see changes to how SbkTypeObject
>         fields are referenced (SbkTypeObject is a C level extension of
>         the PyHeapTypeObject struct).  I don't think I see changes to
>         frames.
>

>     Hoppla, you are right, no frames at all. Did I say that? geee
>
>     No, it is about the type layout, there are (ah, here came the word
>     frame
>     again?! ) there are type fields in CPython that stackless does not
>     have.
>
>     Well, and because these structures are different in size, pyside must
>     be compiled using stackless, otherwise it crashes ugly.
>
>     (bzzt, no frames -- what's up with my brain? like a shortcut, I
>     need rewiring)
>

>     ciao - chris
>
>     --
>     Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer at stackless.com
>     <mailto:tismer at stackless.com>>
>     Software Consulting          :     Have a break! Take a ride on
>     Python's
>     Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 121     :    *Starship*
>     http://starship.python.net/
>     14482 Potsdam                :     PGP key -> http://pgp.uni-mainz.de
>     phone +49 173 24 18 776 <tel:%2B49%20173%2024%2018%20776>  fax +49
>     (30) 700143-0023 <tel:%2B49%20%2830%29%20700143-0023>
>     PGP 0x57F3BF04       9064 F4E1 D754 C2FF 1619  305B C09C 5A3B 57F3
>     BF04
>           whom do you want to sponsor today? http://www.stackless.com/

> --

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023