[Stackless] Fwd: [Stackless-checkins] stackless (2.7-slp): add a filter function to zipfile.PyZipFile.

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Fri Oct 25 23:45:10 CEST 2013

Hi Kristjan,

On 25.10.13 17:42, Kristján Valur Jónsson wrote:
> [...]

Actually, it is the predecessor of a change that I brought onto the 3.4
default branch (accepted obvious improvement in usability)
.
I wrote the first version for stackless 2.7.5 and checked it into the wrong
repo, which can be reverted, although it is a ridiculously innocent change
that adds just a filter option for better usability of class PyZipFile.

This may be reverted, although, after it happened, I am not sure if I want
to do that: Instead

I am thinking of a revised Stackless Policy
-----------------------------------

You all know that I'm proactively supporting Python 3.x and have moved
my projects to it. Almost -- there is one important customer who needs
Python 2.7.5, and that's the reason why I messed things up in the end.

I am sharing the Python 3 idea that new things should go into Python 3.
But I am not sharing the opinion that there shalt be no improvements
to Python 2.x in the restrictive way CPython does it.

Instead, I have the idea that Stackless could get a benefit from
back-porting
more goodies from Python 3.x. This goes (at a much smaller scale) in the
same
direction as Kristjan's idea to support futures without threads and
other async
structures in Stackless 2.x which are not available in CPython 2.x.

So my new approach to changing the Stackless policy is this:

Stackless _does_ backport improvements that CPython does not allow,
in a way that is compatible with CPython 3.x.

There are two simple reasonings for both projects:

- CPython wants to give Python 2.x users a good reason to switch to
Python 3.

- Stackless wants to give Python 2.x users a good reason to switch to
Stackless.

Ahem - What do you think?

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023