[Stackless] stackless improvements / evolution

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Mon Sep 2 14:16:21 CEST 2013

Hi there.
Since python 2.7 was killed off, there is still regularly talk of reviving its evolution.  I even got permission to host such a branch at python.org at one point.
However, I just realize that we already have that, namely stackless.

Would there be much objection if I started porting backward compatible changes to 2.7 in order to keep it up to speed?
What I have in mind in the first pass is:

1)      threading improvement.  Adding timeout to locks.  Improving locking performance on windows.  Some of this would be 3.3 backports

2)      Adding a native threading.Condition class for faster inter-thread signalling

Other minor things, but you get my drift.