[Stackless] stacklesslib.async

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Tue Sep 3 15:25:32 CEST 2013

Thanks for your feedback.
The original "Task" interface in C# is perhaps not something we need to closely follow.
As I understand it, "task based asynchronous programming" came before the "await" semantics.
It makes a distinction between waiting for a result, and returning its value.  Although Wait will throw an exception if task execution throws an exception....
So anyway, I _think_ that in C# you
t.Wait()
return t.Result

which separates these things awkwardly.

In my implementation of async.Task, I added a get_result() which combines the two.

I think it makes sense to create a module function, get_all_results() which operates on an iterable of Tasks. and returns a list of actual values, or raises an exception
This can be augmented with a "when_all_results()" function which returns a Task object.
Simlilarly "get_any_result()" returning an index and value, and "when_any_result"

This could then be used in preference to the Task-like WaitAll or WaitAny et al.

I also think I prefer module global functions to class methods, what do you think?

One interesting thing that .NET does, and these functions, is that they throw "AggregateException" wrapping the original error.  "await" does not.
Do you have any thought on that?

See:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18314961/i-want-await-to-throw-aggregateexception-not-just-the-first-exception