[Stackless] Documentation of tasklet life cycle (was Re: Open Stackless issues)

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 4 18:18:44 CEST 2013

Hi Anselm:

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 15:07:51 +0200
From: Anselm Kruis <a.kruis at science-computing.de>
To: stackless at stackless.com
Subject: [Stackless] Documentation of tasklet life cycle (was Re: Open
    Stackless issues)

>I just created a first draft of a state diagram for the tasklet life
>cycle. It is here:

>http://www.stackless.com/ticket/24#comment:11

>Any comments and suggestions are highly welcome.

Nice work. Some comments:

What is the difference between a tasklet that is not alive (i.e., not bound to a callable) and a tasklet that is not alive (but bounded to a callable). Should there be a dead state?

Do you really need to distinguish between the "running" state and the "running in scheduler" state? Isn't the difference between stackless.run() and tasklet.run() a matter of when a tasklet is scheduled?

Does a tasklet that is pickled or blocked on a channel require a special state (since a tasklet blocked on a channel cannot be pickled)?

Cheers,
Andrew