[Stackless] stackless-tealet

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Thu Sep 5 08:27:19 CEST 2013

The chief drive is architectural:
It makes sense to have stack slicing performed by a separate library that is easily testable on its own and which provides a robust interface to the caller.
This also reduces "coupling" in the code.
But the tealets also use smarter stack management.  The tealet code is evolved from the greenlet module, which Armin Rigo created based on Stackless.
But he added  a "just in time" stack saving feature, which means that we need not have a fixed "stack base."  This allows us to get rid of the "climb_stack_and*" functions and various other bits of magic nudges here and there.  It should also reduce the amount of memory used by hard switched tasklets.
In tealet, I iterated on this a bit, so that "tealets" can be duplicated, and share the same stack.  Also, just-in-time growth now happens with additional malloc calls, not realloc, which is more efficient.
An upshot of this stack management regime is that tealets work only by executing a function as a new tealet.  It is not possible to capture the current execution point, because a function provides a fixed boundary to the possible stack use of that tealet (you cannot return from the function and  pop the stack and still be in the same tealet)  whereas capturing the stack does not.  This forced me to change the way that the "main" tasklet is executed.

In short: Architectural niceness, and hopefully simpler platform support since platform support is part of the separate, smaller, and easily testable, tealet module.
In addition, hopefully faster switching with less memory use.
For the latter case, I really should gather some metrics, of course :)