[Stackless] Why can't I use nanosleep() to suspend the execution of a stackless tasklet?

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 22 22:59:46 CEST 2013

Hi Jeff:

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:34:00 -0400
From: Jeff Senn <senn at maya.com>
Subject: Re: [Stackless] Why can't I use nanosleep() to suspend the
    execution of a stackless tasklet?

>I envy your life in the "future", my friend. I am living in a pragmatically CPython 2.x world, and probably
>will be for a long time... :-)

Right now living in the "future" requires a lot of legwork in the present. Outside reviewing my  STM book and getting static-stm-barrier branch to build on my tiny computers, I have to come up with working hypothesis about how Stackless works on top of STM. I believe we can take clues from concurrency/STM in Haskell. An immediate concern is that transaction.py assumes the units of execution are threads not tasklets. I am guessing to get around this will entails me having a far better understanding of how continuelets and stacklets (this is what PyPy uses for microthreading) interact with OS threads.

Cheers,
Andrew