[Stackless] Sprinting at PyCon

Anselm Kruis a.kruis at science-computing.de
Mon Apr 14 09:48:56 CEST 2014

Hi Alain,

another unique feature of Stackless is pickling/unpickling of tasklets
and many other python types. This feature is essential for many
applications and probably needs some additional C-code besides 'tealet'
/ '_continuation'. That said I like your proposal, but I doubt that we
have enough man power to implement it.

Cheers
   Anselm

Am 13.04.2014 18:07, schrieb Alain Poirier:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to discuss how it'd be possible or not for Stackless to follow the
> same path than PyPy:
>
>    - A simpler Stackless core, with only the 'tealet' / '_continuation' stack
>      switch, writing in C. Exposing the same API than PyPy.
>      IIRC, Krisjan already has such a Stackless version.
>
>    - All the high level features of Stackless like Tasklets and Channels moved to
>      the 'stackless.py' pure Python module.
>
>    - An emulation of the greenlets API, in a 'greenlet.py' pure Python module.
>
>    - Bonus point if these 'stackless.py' and 'greenlet.py’ modeules are shared /
>      co-developed with the PyPy project :)
>
> I see several advantages then:
>
>    - Greenlets and Stackless features being Python modules, easier experimentations
>      are possible. For example writing other scheduling policy or higher concurrency
>      primitives such like Andrew's select/join.
>
>    - With a 'greenlet.py' compatible module, lots of softwares like ‘gevent’ could
>      work without any modification.
>
>    - Works on 'greenlet.py' and 'stackless.py' can profit both to Python Stackless
>      and PyPy.
>
> Just my 2 cents,
> Alain

  Dipl. Phys. Anselm Kruis                       science + computing ag
  Senior Solution Architect                      Ingolstädter Str. 22
  email A.Kruis at science-computing.de             80807 München, Germany
  phone +49 89 356386 874  fax 737               www.science-computing.de
Gerd-Lothar Leonhart
Vorstand/Board of Management: