[Stackless] Sprinting at PyCon

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Mon Apr 14 15:44:13 CEST 2014

Hi there.

I'm not entirely sure about the benefit of such a re-architecture.
As I see it the chief benefits of Stackless over greenlets, are:
1) Pickling of runtime state.
2) Scheduling and higher level primitives implemented in C
3) "stackless" excecution of certain builtin python things. (soft switching as opposed to stack slicing) .  Allows for example soft stack switch in an __enter__/__exit__ method (an experimental feature).   Soft switching primarily allows tasklet state to be pickled and restored, but it is supposedly also for performance of execution of regular python code (this last claim is unproven)

If we didn't need either, we could implement stackless as a .py module that relies on greenlets.  Then "stackless" would be just another greenlet client.

Pickling can certainly be implemented in a more slim implementation, but picling of an execution state relies on "soft" switching.
Reasoning about the performance is harder but we always want to be fast :)

So, what can we throw away and how can we restructure to make things simpler, while keeping the essential benefits of stackless?