[Stackless] PyCon 2014 stackless sprints?

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Mon Feb 24 11:49:02 CET 2014

Nice, I'm looking forward to visiting Montréal again, haven't been there for close to 20 years.

gEvent basically means letting gevent-compatible applications work with stackless.  I was thinking that if we can have stacklesslib provide a gevent compatible library, then stackless could do evertying that cpython with gevent can.   A lot of frameworks out there support gevent out of the box.  Less so for stackless.

gevent is designed for easy integrating with file descriptors.  It is currently built on top of libev http://software.schmorp.de/pkg/libev.html which should in theory give good behaviour on unix.
A gevent compatibility layer would mean writing a pure python equivalent.  It would also be a useful exercise in how to write an IO-bound stackless application.

StacklessIO was my own version of something similar, many years ago.  But it is un-extendable.  And frankly, the windows "completion" based semantics are much harder to work with than unix "poll" semantics.  C code that uses completion is not very extensable from python....

Anyway, I'm rambling.  The idea was to see if we could make Stackless work as well as cpython with gevent :)