[Stackless] Upcoming Stackless releases

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 03:39:56 CET 2014

Hi,

I've uploaded prerelease versions of Stackless Python 2.7.6 to:

http://stackless.com/wiki/Download

Note that I've modified the patch level, so it claims it is 2.7.6a1.
This will have to do, as it will prevent anyone from mistaking this
for a final release.

On the Stackless Python naming topic.  Note that Armin Ronacher named
Stackless Python 2.8 as a pending release, in his new blog post.

http://lucumr.pocoo.org/2014/1/5/unicode-in-2-and-3/

On 1/6/14, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> besides Richard's announcement below,
> there will in fact be a stackless 2.8 with a changed executable name
> that explicitly does not call itself "python", although it is.
>
> That would be a fine candidate for homebrew, of course.
>
> We have not decided yet, but it is maybe the start of generally maintaining
> the "stackless" name for all future versions, because that removes a lot
> of naming issues at no cost.
>
> cheers - chris
>

> On 06.01.14 01:24, Werner Thie wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> will that happen on stackless.com with tarballs or somewhere else?
>>
>> Although being interested in stackless for several years, for me
>> following the recent discussions were both enlightening as well as
>> frustrating, because there is so little information painting a big
>> picture of all the bits and pieces of stackless and its relatives.
>>
>> Maybe painting an inheritance tree would help?
>>
>> With my attempt having failed at bringing stackless to the main
>> homebrew repos on OSX on the grounds that 'it is confusing the user
>> because this is just another python and we already have enough
>> problems with OXS's system python and the homebrew one' I felt some
>> hope when reading the discussions about naming stackless differently.
>>
>> My plan still is to have stackless as a brew formula on OSX and as a
>> port on FreeBSD, so anything which separates stackless from the
>> CPython installation seems to me a step into the right direction.
>>
>> Werner
>>
>> On 1/5/14 12:24 PM, Richard Tew wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been reflecting on the 2.7.6 and 3.3.3 releases of Stackless, and
>>> how I think it's important we do them in a timely fashion.
>>>
>>> However, there are a decent number of outstanding issues, so I'd like
>>> to propose a different approach.
>>>
>>> I plan to do three release candidate releases:
>>>
>>> 2.7.6
>>> 3.3.3