[Stackless] __future__ policy

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Jan 7 16:33:26 CET 2014

Hi Martijn,

On 07/01/14 13:44, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I understand Stackless 2.8 is considering the following:
>
> from __future__ import nonlocal
>
> It was pointed out on the #python2.8 channel yesterday that this leads
> to a problem when upgrading Stackless 2.8 code to Python 3.x code, as
>
> from __future__ import nonlocal
>
> is an error there. So it becomes impossible to write code that runs
> both on Stackless 2.8 and Python 3.3, for instance.
>
> It was suggested you introduce another magic module specific for
> Stackless, say:
>
> from __stackless__ import nonlocal
>
> and then you can write a simple dummy module __stackless__ in Python
> 3.3 that does absolutely nothing. That way it becomes possible to
> write polyglotted code between Stackless and Python 3.3.

Yes, that is one possibility, when stackless is only considered as a
work-around.

On the other hand, we might also think of continuing the stackless series
on the version 3 line.
So when people upgrade from stackless 2.8 to stackless 3.4, the additional
futures would be clearly supported ;-)

cheers - Chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023