[Stackless] stackless 2.8 and backporting unicode behavior?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jan 7 17:52:56 CET 2014

On 01/07/2014 04:25 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Is it a goal of Stackless 2.8 to help making it easier to port code
> written for it to Python 3.x?
>
> If so, would you consider adding backported str/bytes facilities like in
> the 'future' module, as described in python-future.org? I haven't dug
> into its code yet so I may be wrong, but I speculated here how it works:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.python/CvtQVzZWcUE/bvt3Cg0FhSoJ

After further analysis it turns out it doesn't quite work that way.
Instead I it works like I described here on this issue:

https://github.com/PythonCharmers/python-future/issues/27

I think it'd be interesting to support behavior like this in Stackless
2.8, as it would I think be of genuine benefit to smoothen the upgrade
path to Python 3.x code.

Regards,

Martijn